Top 12 Tax Resources (for the 2013 Tax Season)
Finding time to do anything during tax season is tough. This year, with a delayed tax season, it will be an even bigger challenge. So save a little time this year by using the resources developed by the AICPA and its volunteer committees to help members successfully navigate the tax season. If you like free, you’ll love this list of resources as most of them cost nothing.
- Access a range of useful articles and reference material (like the Quick Guide of rates and other frequently needed info) on the Journal of Accountancy’s Tax Filing Season Resources page.
- Leverage the AICPA’s Tax Practitioner LinkedIn Group to share tips or get tax preparation advice or solutions for practice management issues from other experienced tax professions.
- Give your clients the Tax Law Snapshot brochure that highlights current tax provisions affecting individuals and small business owners. Explore other tools in the Tax Practitioner’s Toolkit, like newsletter blurbs, ads and tweets, to help you communicate your value to clients, referral sources and prospective clients. (For AICPA members.)
- Refresh your memory on what CPAs’ obligations are for standards that need to be followed (e.g., data verification) when preparing returns, with the Statements on Standards for Tax Services #3. And to help ensure your practice is complying with professional, statutory and regulatory requirements, use the newly updated Tax Practice Quality Control Guide. Useful for sole proprietors, as well as firms with or without a structured tax department.
- Rely on the trusted content of the traditional checklists and benefit from the technological efficiencies you need with theAICPA Interactive Tax Checklists (with features such as online access from anywhere and updates throughout the year). Free for Tax Section members. Download the FAQs and tutorial for more information.
- Ensure your staff understands the value of your firm and conveys that value to clients using the Tax Practitioner’s Toolkit Education Materials (AICPA members only). Also included is a client satisfaction survey, talking points to address potential client questions and objections, and a comprehensive checklist (tailored to practice size) to get started.
- Get tips for advising clients on identity theft in this archived webcast. Also learn best practices for managing your practice from the Tax Power Hour webinar series (Tax Section Members only).
- For tax information categorized by topic, visit the Tax resource page where you can view estate tax resources for filing Form 706 and electing portability or find information on reporting foreign financial assets. Upcoming tax webcasts are also featured.
- Download our comprehensive Casualty Loss Practice Guide that reviews the issues you need to consider - includes an in-depth discussion of valuation if you have any clients claiming a casualty loss.
- Get answers to questions you and your clients have on the health care reform law at the Health Care Reform Resources Center that offers a handy timeline showing when tax provisions take effect, links to related guidance, and a primer for practitioners.
- Bookmark the FATCA Guidance Tracker to track all of the changes to the far-reaching Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act that will affect some individual taxpayers.
- Take a break – you deserve it! Join Ginger for a late night snack or watch CPAs ham it up in this “classic” remake of Casablanca.
Ann Marie Maloney, AICPA Staff.
Twelve image via Shutterstock.